Sunday 7 March 2010

Various Sketches of Dresses

I've been playing watercolours again (several boxes are all sprawled across the dining room table in a sort of artistic chaos) and here are some of the results.

The sketch to the left is partly for Loretta (who was behind most of the Hong Kong photography), since she'd been toying with idea of a gown along those lines for a while. The intention, if I recall correctly, was to use a cotton print sheeting for the outer dress (she had her eye on a cream with red roses much like that pictured) and probably a pale coloured muslin for the underdress.
The Designer suggested the buttons on the zone front dress to the left. I'm still not entirely sure about it, but the concept is growing on me. There isn't much to say about it beyond it'd probably look good in a rough silk, and that it's reasonably Georgian and I'm quite fond of it.

These sketches are done in watercolours, then inked with a 0.5 gel pen (nearest black pen I had lying around). They're done on 110gsm paper, which accounts for the shadows in the background - the paper is thick enough to withstand being swamped by watercolours, but it does wibble it somewhat.

I feel the urge to apologise for my use of fashion templates. It almost feels like cheating. They're not remotely proportioned like actual human beings (even models, for that mater), but I've gotten to the point of thinking of it as concept art. These sketches are to real clothing, what concept art in video games are to the actual level design.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...